Saturday, June 29, 2013

Steps to take DB backup in TSM 6.3

Step 1: Create folder where you want to store the DB backup

mkdir E:\dbbackup

Step 2: update the device class ‘maximum volume capacity’ and ‘path to store files’

UPDATE DEVCLASS FILEDEV1 DIR=E:\DBBACKUP MAXCAP=50G SHARED=YES

Step 3: Take full backup of DB

backup db type=full devclass=filedev1
 
Error will generate:
            ANR2590E BACKUP DB failed - SET DBRECOVERY command has not been issued.
            ANS8001I Return code 3.

Step 4: Set device class for automatic DB backup to FILEDEV1

set dbrecovery filedev1

Step 5: Again take full backup of DB

backup db type=full devclass=filedev1
 
Now process will start and at the end it will show message like “Database Backup running in the BACKGROUND completed with completion state SUCCESS at xx:xx:xx.”

            There are following types of backup you can run. This parameter is optional. The default is

INCREMENTAL.

a)      Incremental

An incremental (or cumulative) backup image contains a copy of all database data that has changed since the last successful full backup operation was performed.

b)     Full

To run a full backup of the Tivoli Storage Manager database.

c)      DBSnapshot

To run a full snapshot database backup. The entire contents of a database are copied and a new snapshot database backup is created without interrupting the existing full and incremental backup series for the database.

Step 6: Take backup of Server sequential volume history information file

backup volhist f=e:\dbbackup\volhist.out wait=yes

Step 7: Take backup of Server device configuration information file

backup devconfig f=e:\dbbackup\devconfig.out wait=yes

Step 6: Delete sequential volume history entries

delete volhist t=dbb todate=today-2 wait=yes

1 comment:

  1. Why not define a seperate DBBACKUP device class?

    Here is what I did on TSM 7.1:



    ORB-TSM71> define devclass DBBACKUP devtype=file maxcapacity=50000m
    ANR2203I Device class DBBACKUP defined.

    ORB-TSM71> UPDATE DEVCLASS DBBACKUP DIR=G:\DBBACKUP MAXCAP=50G SHARED=YES
    ANR8400I Library DBBACKUP defined.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP1 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP2 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP3 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP4 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP5 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP6 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP7 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP8 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP9 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP10 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP11 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP12 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP13 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP14 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP15 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP16 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP17 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP18 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP19 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR8404I Drive DBBACKUP20 defined in library DBBACKUP.
    ANR2205I Device class DBBACKUP updated.

    ORB-TSM71> set dbrecovery DBBACKUP
    ANR2782I SET DBRECOVERY completed successfully and device class for automatic DB backup is set to DBBACKUP.

    ORB-TSM71> backup db type=full devclass=DBBACKUP
    Process number 24 started.
    ANR2280I Full database backup started as process 24.

    ORB-TSM71> backup volhist f=g:\dbbackup\volhist.out wait=yes
    ANR2023E BACKUP VOLHISTORY: Extraneous parameter - WAIT.

    ORB-TSM71> backup volhist f=g:\dbbackup\volhist.out
    Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) Y
    ANR2462I BACKUP VOLHISTORY: Server sequential volume history information was written to g:\dbbackup\volhist.out.
    ORB-TSM71> backup devconfig f=g:\dbbackup\devconfig.out
    Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) Y
    ANR2393I BACKUP DEVCONFIG: Server device configuration information was written to g:\dbbackup\devconfig.out.
    ORB-TSM71> delete volhist t=dbb todate=today-2
    Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) Y
    ANR2467I DELETE VOLHISTORY: 0 sequential volume history entries were successfully deleted.

    ReplyDelete